<VV> I hate my corvairs exhaust install!

Jason Morris Jason Morris <neosore@gmail.com>
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:13:17 -0500

I beginning to think that I would just drive my car without exhaust.

This will be my third shot at trying to find an exhaust system that
will fit my corvair.

My first try fitting mufflers under this car, deducted 3 inches from
my rear clearance, because the mufflers where to big to fit.

My second attempt was at a local Midas shop.  I ask if they could make
a custom exhaust that would fit.  The mechanic reassured me that he's
worked on them before and that he could fit a set of Camaro mufflers
on and give me back my clearance.  Well he did that (after 3 hours of
work) but the mufflers where so close to the rear wheels and as luck
would have it, he didn't remember me telling him a had the spare tire
on the rear tire.  So because the mufflers where so close to the tire,
there would be now way for me to put my full size tire back on.  After
three hours of work the mechanic said screw it cut the new mufflers
off and reinstalled the old mufflers.

<Stress level increasing.>

At this point I decided to order the "trombone" exhaust from clarks
for $250.  I figured if those didn't fit what would... right...

Well they came in the mail today and after removing the old mufflers I
discovered that this wasn't just a simple bolt up (like Clarks made it
seem).  I had no where to mount the hangers and the mounting hardware
that came with the mufflers was so long that I would have had to
cut/grid them down to fit (I have no tools for that).  And as the sun
light was fading I realized that I better get the old mufflers back on
before it was too dark, so I could drive to work tomorrow.

So the tomorrow (after work) I will be dropping this car off at
another muffler shop and tell them to install these new mufflers from
clarks.  And by god this better be fixed tomorrow or I'm going to
start walking to work.