<VV> flushing out brake lines for DOT 5

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:36:36 -0400

>Hi Wayne,
>Yes, you can just flush it all out with alcohol.  I did that and you will be fine, PROVIDED you really like DOT5.  I understand that the DOT 5 and DOT 3 is
not compatible and you also need to swap out all the rubber parts.

>I tried several times to do that and finally settled on Valvoline Syntec, as I recall, SYNTHETIC brake fluid.  This is fully synthetic, but is not DOT 5.  It is fully
compatible with DOT 3 and 4 and has high boiling point.  It appears to have all the good qualities of DOT 5, but none of its "particularities".  It seems like
the ideal brake fluid for me.

>Try as I might, and DID, I always had a spongy brake system, despite TONS of brake bleeding, stainless steel flex lines and Kevlar shoes.  I gave it a
beyond reasonable attempt to get it right and then finally switched to this new stuff.

Consider this another vote FOR Valvoline Syntec (or any number of similar if higher priced glycol based
synthetics) and AGAINST DOT 5 for a car that's going to be _driven_. For a trailer queen it's fine...IMO.

Bill Elliott