<VV> Wiring harness

bob mccrum bmccrum@comcast.net
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:48:38 -0500

depends on what you want to end up with-if you want an original harness, go
to clarks or underground.  I have used ron francis's wireworks kits on 2
street rods and can highly endorse their simplicity and well written
installation instructions.  very well made, but in no way are original or
make any attempt to look like oem product.  bob mc
----- Original Message -----
From: "corvairs" <lonwall@corvairunderground.com>
To: <chickwich@comcast.net>
Cc: "virtual vairs" <virtualvairs@corvair.org>; "Corvantics"
<corvanatics@corvair.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> Wiring harness

> In theory this harness would be just what we all need when converting an
> FC to an alternator. The trouble is, the company that makes these
> harnesses has promised this harness for 4 or 5 years and has yet to
> deliver. It's in our catalog too - but a lot of good that does when the
> manufacturer won't produce it. Keep in mind also that the wiring for the
> rear license plate lite is different as well (for 61-63) but that's a
> minor point. I suppose we could get the 61-63 harnesses take them apart
> and modify them but  then they would cost more and no one has so far
> been interested in this option. Lon
>
> www.corvairunderground.com
>
> chickwich@comcast.net wrote:
>
> >       I am in the process of restoring a 63 Corvan right now.  My major
hold up is the electrical system.  Every wire I see has broken insulation
and the ones I can't see are definately grounding out.  I was interested in
members experiences with:  Clarks, Underground, and generic kits from
Painless Wiring or other vendors).  Clarks lists a 65 van wiring harness, is
this set up for an Alternator or a generator?  Other than that are there any
differences in van harnesses 61-65?
> >       I have been encouraged to buy a complete harness rather than
attempt to make one from scratch, or repair the shreaded remains of the
orignal.  As always cost is a major concern, I'm sure many other members
have "Been there, done that" all comments are welcome.  Thanks again.