<VV> Clunk

Roger Gault r.gault@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:48:52 -0500

Yesterday, after the '65 Convert. sat in the driveway for maybe 6 hours, I
tried to start it to put it in.  The starter turned a little (maybe 1/2 sec.)
and then there was this disturbing CHER-CLUNK and it stopped abruptly.  After
that, the starter would make Bendix engaging noises, but would not turn the
engine.  So, I put it in reverse, let it roll down the driveway a little and
popped the clutch.  Chirp.  Hmmm.  Looks bad - engine no turn.

Then, I went back and tried to turn it with the belt.  That's when I found out
my HB had failed, since I could turn the belt but the the crank wasn't
turning.  (separate problem, no doubt.)

Got a couple of neighbors to help me push it up my rather steep driveway.
Couldn't make it up the last steeper part to the garage.  $*%@!  Tried pushing
it with spare Oldsmobile, but couldn't figure out how to keep the bumpers
mated through the grade change into the garage.  Decided to rent a come-along
and drag it in.  What the heck, give the starter another try.  Started fine,
running rich like it always does on the choke.  Mmmmmm.

Today, I pulled the starter - looks fine.  Checked the flywheel teeth while
wife turned engine - tired, but nothing drastic looking.  Put it back together
(with another HB) and it starts fine.

So, my theory is that with the rear of the car about 12-18 inches lower than
the front, and the recently rebuilt carbs maybe not sealing at the float
needles, it filled a cylinder with gas and hydraulic locked on me and then
drained past the rings while I was screwing around with it.

Opinions appreciated.

Roger Gault