<VV> Shifter problem

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:43:12 -0400

Larry,
	I don't have the manuals or guides on how to do it here, so we will
have to have someone else give you the step by step.  I will list a couple
of things that are not in the manual and should make it easier to understand
directions.

Shifter:  You may have noticed the cast housing is not symmetrical.  One
side of the slot allows the upper portion (in the car) of the shifter to
lean over farther for reverse.  Reverse is spring loaded.

Underneath, the directions that the lever goes are reversed from on top-what
you shift.  So reverse, for example underneath is to the rear and right or
passenger side.

When you add the extension underneath for the quick shift, the adjustments
have lesser latitude for error.

At the other end of the shift tube at the coupler, of course, it is the
same, so reverse is "in" and twisted CCW, looking at the front of the trans
toward the rear. Neutral can be felt as between all the way in and all the
way out.  An awl or strong small screw driver can be used to maneuver the
shift lever at the front of the trans if the coupler is not hooked up.

The manual saying where to set the gear lever, is to make sure when you
adjust it, you have enough room (to the seat and dash) for all gears, and
that you are within the range of the movement of the shifter.  When you add
the extension underneath, it moves more for the same amount of upper lever
movement.  Since that movement of the rod underneath and the trans is
limited, then to get the same underneath movement, the gear shift lever in
the car moves less.  You have to be within the range of movement.

Having said all of that, you should be n the ball park, having scribed the
line for the coupler.

Good Luck.

Chuck S
BBRT

Hello everyone. Well, here I am in trouble again. It seems that my 64 is
fighting me every step of the way.

I had my power train out. While it was out I disassembled the shifter (4 Spd
that has a Clark's quick shift installed) to clean, inspect and lube. I
reassembled according to the shop manual. Before I removed the coupler from
the shift tube I scribed it and reinstalled it to the scribe mark.

Now that the power train is back in and the shifter connected to the
transmission, the gear shift lever is hard to move and it doesn't want to go
into 1st or 4th. Neutral doesn't "feel" right either. Does anyone have a
clue
as to what went wrong?

Also, the steps for adjustment in the shop manual tell you to put the
transmission in a certain gear but the manual doesn't tell you how to put it
in that gear. In other words, all the way in, out, in the middle, shaft
rotated, etc.

Does anyone have a fool proof method of adjusting the linkage?
Larry Danko
Racine, WI