<VV> Corvairs Again - This time its the beast of the vairs

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:44:34 -0700

At 11:11 hours 09/20/2004 -0400, Bill Hubbell wrote:
>No.  Although it isn't known for certain where the name comes from, the name
>is not a contraction of Corvette and Belair.

Humm...  a very long time ago I read an article (Motor Trend I think) which
described the name 'Corvair' as having come from a prototype vehicle (the
'Vette "Nomad"?) which had offered the sportiness of the Corvette combined
with the practicality of the Bel-Air, hence the name Corvair.   It was
later applied to the version with which we are afflicted.

This, right from the magazine article.    It was in the very early 1960s.

Now:    Whether or not the name originated thus is debatable but Motor
Trend (I think) was defining it as such.

If not from these origins...    Where DID the name come from...?

tony..