<VV> Carburetor problems

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:10:12 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/04 5:13:27 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
GFrenzie@aol.com writes:

> I have been experiencing problems trying to restart my '61 Rampside. 80
> hp/3
> speed. After I have driven it for awhile and turn it off, it will not start
> for at least 20/30 minutes, after it has set for awhile. The carbs are stock
> and
> has a manual choke.
>
> Why is this happening and what can I do to correct it?....Would spacers
> placed between the carbs and intake help?

Hi George,
It does indeed sound like vapor lock, which means the fuel pump is being
affected. I suggest that you do a little troubleshooting when this happens next.
Are you getting a good squirt from the accel pumps? Are the carb bowls dry
(remove the top of the carb to determine). Is the pump new and working OK? Check
fuel flow as described in the shop manual. Maybe replacing the pump would be a
good idea if it's not fairly new. BTW if it is vapor lock, that is not a carb
problem, it's a fuel pump problem.
Hope that this helps.
Regards,
Bob Helt