<VV> What's going on here - carb adjustment

Russ Moorhouse corvair65@verizon.net
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:05:43 -0400

Today I tried to use the method described in the '65 shop manual for setting
your carbs.  I tee'd off my vacuum gauge and connected one of the two ends
to the vacuum advance port on the right carb and the other end to the same
port on the left side - I did remove the cover.  I followed the
instructions, adjusting the idle up to 1200 rpm with a turnbuckle and then
closed the hose to the R/H carb.  The vacuum decreased, in which case the
book states to go back to idle position and lengthen the throttle rod on the
L/H carb, which I did.  When I set the turnbuckle up again and set it for
1200 rpm, I could crimp the hose to the right carb and it hardly moved at
all, which tells me they are set correctly.  However when I crimped the left
hose, the vacuum gauge dropped down to zero.  The shop manual, doesn't say
what to do in this situation.  What would cause this?

On my right side is a rebuilt secondary that was sent back once for repairs
because of a throttle plate that wasn't shutting all the way.  When you put
your hand over it you can still feel the vacuum pull your hand down.  This
doesn't happen on the left side.  Could this still be the throttle plate
leaking and causing this strange problem with the vacuum gauge?  Could
something in the primary be causing the secondary to open?  I've ruled out
the linkage going to the secondary keeping the throttle plate open by
disconnecting it.

Also when I used the method in the shop manual to adjust the mixture, the
needle was not steady on either side, but by backing the carb screw out some
it settled down somewhat, however I had to back the screw out much further
on the right side to get it at the same setting as the left.  It's out too
far as far as I'm concerned.  I fear it may vibrate itself out altogether.

Could this all be something in the heads or valves that's causing this?

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Kent Island, MD