<VV> Ouch! (Was Nomads were NOT hardtops (was Origin of Corvair name))

Dennis Nichols dixiehwy25@yahoo.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:04:57 -0700 (PDT)

Actually the Nomad had a just frameless front window. I'd say it's best described as having hardtoppy styling.

True Hardtop wagons were cranked out by Chrysler Corp ( who put the style in their upper ranges) in 2 and 4 dr. variants of the "Forward Look" shell. Mercury put one out in a two and a four door, and of course most of of us know about the Olds Fiesta and Buick Caballero, both four doors.

My definiton of hardtop is no pillar between front and rear door windows and all  door windows must pretty much disappear.

Now how about making a Waldorf Nomad by grafting the front clip and rear fender caps from an early 'vette to a 55 Nomad?

Alan and Clare Wesson <alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk> wrote:
While researching this (my conclusion is that yes, the B post on a Nomad is
part of the roof, but so what - the C post on any car, and the B posts on
many (a lot of eurohatches, for a start), are part of the roof, but that
still doesn't make them hardtops in the sense that hardtops are pillarless,
because the only opening in the side is the front door, and that applies to
any two door car with a B post anyway!), I found the following story, which
has really upset me - not quite as bad as the thought of being beheaded
today, but pretty nasty anyway:

"Every time a man gets in his car it should be a vacation"- Harley Earl

Dennis Nichols    CORSA, CKC

1961 Lakewood 700 98/3

Interested in wagons? lakewood700@yahoo.com