<VV> RE: On the Subject of Leaving the Key On

pat deghuee pdeg@operamail.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:08:06 +0100

>Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:32:35 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: <VV> RE: On the Subject of Leaving the Key On

Although HEI's are notorious for burning rotors through and having the spark short to ground by way of the advance springs, this can only happen if current is running through the rotor.  With the engine off there is no spark, so no current going through the rotor.  It is however, still hard on the module and coil.  There is a reason why cars have an acc position in the first place.  Unless, of course,  you own an EM.

>Forgot to mention this while the thread was still alive:

>FYI on HEI ignitions, leaving the key on with the engine >stalled will
>eventually burn a hole through the rotor.

>I learned this from a tow-truck driver who paid for his own >gas.  He
>got into the habit of parking at accident scenes with the >key on so
>his flashing lights would run.

Michael Smith
Dallas