<VV> hardtop thread

airvair airvair@richnet.net
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:31:48 -0400

I beg to differ with you, Harry.

A sedan, by definition is a car with a "B" pillar that extends from
floor to roof. It has nothing to do with how many doors it has.
Evidence: a 2door hardtop is NOT a sedan, but a hardtop by definition.
If it had a "B" pillar that reached the roof, THEN would it be called a
two-door-sedan. Likewise, a 4door hardtop is NOT a sedan, but a hardtop
by definition.

BTW as another poster said, a coupe is a 2door with a truncated roof, as
opposed to a full "sedan" style roof.

Now when we refer to Corvairs (necessary Corvair content) the 2doors can
rightfully be called coupes, because neither early nor late 2doors have
full "sedan" style roofs, but truncated roofs. Further, early 4doors are
full sedans, while late 4doors are 4door hardtops. This by strict,
commonly accepted automotive terms, not marketing terms.

My late 4door is still a 4door hardtop to me, though it's called a
"sport sedan" by GM marketing. But a rose by any other name....

-Mark