<VV> New '65 Monza Convertible 110

Patton Dickson kpdii@earthlink.net
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:36:22 -0500

Hey, I'm not out of here yet... I can't seem to bring myself around to
unsubscribing!!!

Ya'll be good to Ricki and his new car.  I can almost guarantee that he
won't have as many dumb questions as I have thrown out around here in the
past!

Patton (back to lurking)

PS Bill, your check is in the mail for the kind words!

From: "Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com>
To: "Ricki Jannise" <Ricki.Jannise@Halliburton.com>,
   "virtualvairs@corvair.org" <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:36:21 -0400
Subject: Re: <VV> New '65 Monza Convertible 110

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:36:56 -0500, Ricki Jannise wrote:

>I am new to this discussion group.  I purchased the subject vehicle from
>Patton Dickson.  What is the ruling (opinion) on synthetic oil (20w50)
>use in the Corvair six?

Welcome to the group! Patton will be sorely missed... I knew him from both
the Spridgets group and this one (yes I am a not-so-closeted British car
lover as
well!)

As Chuck mentioned, if you have any leaks, going to synthetic will likely
make them worse (though most of my cars kept leaking the same amount... only
my
MG Metro Turbo really started dumping serious oil...). On the other hand,
I've not had a car that didn't leak start leaking when I moved to synthetic.

The main benefits of synthetic (IMO) are the ease of starting when cold, the
ability to retain viscosity longer when overheated, and the anti-coking
properties (important on the hot shutdown of an older oil-cooled turbo).
Thus, all of my turbo and air-cooled cars get Mobile 1 and everything else
gets
Castrol.

I'm sure others have differing opinions... this is just what I do and why...

Again, welcome!!

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD