<VV> RE: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #1102 - 13 msgs

srmarti srmarti@netzero.net
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:57:04 -0400

> Smitty says:  This is absolutely the dumbest argument I have heard to
> date on VV.  The names sedan and hardtop are not exclusive of one another
> just as coupe and hardtop are not mutually exclusive.  A coupe is still a
> coupe whether hardtop or not and a 4 door may well be a hardtop or not.
> Either can be called a sedan  Hardtop was coined in the 50's to describe
> a styling exercise which eliminated the "B" post in cars.  Makes no
> difference whether coupe or 4 door and has nothing to do with bench seats
> vs buckets.  In a coupe or two door of course it necessitated a split
> back for access to the back seat.  There were 4 door hardtops by Ford and
> Chrysler and GM.  Even Webster says a sedan is a type of automobile with
> 2 or 4 doors.  Doesn't say anything about the roof structure.  Now I
> suppose a bunch of you without a life will argue that under that
> definition a convertible can be a sedan.  Go For It.  Continue the
> stupidity.

I bet the average person cares a whole lot more about the number of doors
than semantics based on the roof design.

If I say my vair is a late model 2 door does that confuse anyone about the
basic body style?

Steve Marti