<VV> English> hardtop thread

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:30:03 +0100

> Yeah, English like warm beer too, for the same reason, they liked
> roadsters....Lucas made windshield wiper motors, defroster motors, and all
> the associated circuits.  In a true roadster, one can wipe off the
> windscreen much easier than in a coupe/sedan/closed car.

Spot-on, although the best car I ever had for that was my English 53
Flathead Ford - the windshield opened, so when it was snowing, frosty, misty
or raining you just opened it wide. There was no heater, so there was no
interior heat to lose.

And there was no problem with non-functioning wipers with it open (you just
peered out through the open gap at the bottom) - and they didn't really
function at all, not because they were Lucas, but because they were American
Trico vacuum ones like on 50s Chevs etc., with the difference that on 30 hp
there was seldom enough vacuum to make them work.

It might seem amazing to you that in the country where Lucas are based, it's
American windshield wipers that people joke about - strange, but true.

(;-)

Cheers

Alan