<VV> Out of Group Red. Drove my Corvair for the first time.

Macdonald David dmacd_us@yahoo.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:05:46 -0700 (PDT)

Took the day off work yesterday and finished up enough
to take "Clair" off the jack stands and out for her
first drive in over 30 years. I did not go far because
the 1973 Ontario plates are kind of conspicuous here
in Massachusetts and I don't have any insurance.

I just got back from the RMV and have the plates so
she will be legal and insured when I get home.

Here's what I did:

Rebuilt steering box
New Pitman arm Bushing
New Dual Master cylinder
All new wheel cylinders and brakes
New Gas tank and sender all new rubber hoses.
Restored front suspension to stock, installed a used
anti sway bar with new bushings.
New windshield
New ignition switch
New trunk lock
New headlights and numerous other bulbs that failed
within minutes of power being turned on for the first
time in 30 years.
New nylon strut bushings
New Clutch and throw out bearing.
Dale rebuilt flywheel
New rear pinion bearing.
New throw out shaft with dual seals.
Engine rebuild:
New bearings
NOS 304 camshaft and gear. New lifters, rocker arms
and valve springs.
NOS Pistons and cylinder barrels, re-honed them
because of poor storage.
Sandblasted and painted the shrouds, replaced shrouds
that had been dissolved by mouse pee.
Minor rebuild of the carbs
Repacked front bearings
Rebuilt rear bearings
New U-joints
New dual exhaust. (had been converted to single with a
turbo style cutout)
Rebuilt the washer pump
Mouse nest removal from the tunnel pan and glove-box.

NOS parts came with the car.

Got most of the new parts from Clark's. I chose
Clark's because they are so close that UPS ground
always arrives the next day.

Got the used parts from the Corvair Ranch. Another
great vendor.

Thanks to everyone here who gave me advice and
answered my often easy questions.

Still have lots to do. Exterior and interior are next,
in that order. I'll be driving daily till the snow
flys.

David
'65 Canadian Corsa 140 coupe.
Torn down for an engine rebuild by the PO in May '74
30 Years of rest and duty as a home for wayward
rodents.
Revived Sept '04 in Acton , MA

P.S.
The shifter IS really vague. Not sloppy, but vague.

P.P.S.
They asked me this morning at the RMV: "Is it a
Coupe?"
I answered yes, even though I'm not sure anymore. <g>