<VV> Chev Vacuum Wipers

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:49:53 +0100

Ron wrote:

>I made the mistake of going to NAPA to look for a thrust washer for a
> starter.  The counter man replied that they don't carry any small parts,
> people just buy rebuilts.  Thank god for our vendors!

The things that strike me as probably a really disgusting and flagrant way
of building up parts orders, and 'justifying' selling expensive,
non-demountable assemblies to people, are these new, door-mirror-mounted,
turn signals on Mercedes and others.

The lady next to us asked me to fix her door mirror on her Ford Escort with
glue in 1993, because she had been quoted $300 for a replacement (electric
and heated) - and that was way back when, so imagine what a Mercedes one
with electric adjustment, heating, a turn signal, an inbuilt toaster and
buttock-massager, etc. (O.K. the last 2 were made up, but you get my point)
will go for in 2004!!! $1000 wouldn't surprise me at all...

And will they sell the sub-assemblies separately at low prices for the
(frequent) occasions when they will get smashed?

Yeah, right!

Cheers

Alan