<VV> Ignitor Installation

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:37:48 EDT

In a message dated 9/24/04 8:11:46 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Sethracer@aol.com writes:

> You can choose to feed the ignitor with 12
> volts  and the coil with the dropped voltage (8-9) if you wish. It depends
> on
> which coil you are using.  Pertronix, I believe has a method for testing
> the
> resistance of your ignition coil. This determines whether you should drop
> the
> voltage to it during normal running. Pertronix sell several  different coils
> as
> well.

Yes, Pertronix sells two different resistance coils for use with the Ignitor
I (note that the Ignitor II is completely different and is designed to use a
special coil). The way you tell which coil you have and need is this: Use a
quality digital ohmeter (DVM), Measure the resistrance of the primary winding. If
it is 1.5 ohms or less (i.e., between 1.2 and 1.5) then you have a coil; that
is designed to be used with the stock ballast resistor. But if your coil has
a primary resistance greater than 1.5 ohms (nominally 2.5-3.0 ohms), then you
should bypass the stock ballast resistor to get the full 12 volts to the +
terminal.

So looking at the above in reverse, if you want to leave the stock ballast
resistor in the circuit, then you want to buy the 1.5 ohm coil, and so on.

FYI, the 1.5 ohm coil is sold by Pertronix as the coil for 8-cylinder cars
and the 3 ohm is sold for 6-cylinder cars. But you should pay no attention to
this and use the above description to make your choice.
Regards,
Bob Helt