<VV> Some carb/choke questions

kovacsmj kovacsmj@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:47:00 -0400

 Recently I had similar symptoms with my wife's '69 110. The car has
167K miles on it, so I just replaced the two choke coils (one was almost
rusted through) now it starts like it should, and the chokes come off as
advertised when hot. This is not a one hour job, as best done; it
requires removal of the manifolds and replacement of the coils as well
as the exhaust donuts. (Don't be cheap here)

 Some times the rivet holding the choke coil comes out easily, other
times it refuses to move. Either way you have to be prepared to be
innovative. I cut a slot in the head of the rivet and first try to
simply unscrew it as it is sort of a threaded rivet. A good shot or two
with a hammer can help to loosen it first. When that fails I just cut
the head off, drill out the rivet and install a SMALL sheet metal screw.
In one case I drilled a new hole through the choke coil and into the
head, installed a sheet metal screw and all was OK.

 Be sure you have the gaskets and insulators under the carbs. This may
help with heat soak.

 Anyone else have a better method??? Is there a supplier for these
rivets??

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS