<VV> Anyone in/near Dallas have a differential snout for a LM?

Timothy Chew tchew@cox.net
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:50:08 -0700

First you need a tool to remove the plate on the pinion shaft. I made one
out of some two pieces of steel and with bolts sticking through. On the side
adjusters, I just used a flat piece of steel (mine was an early model, with
no yokes). When everything is out, you will have to have a press to push the
snout out and the replacement one in. Putting it together you will need the
service manual for adjustments. And some measurement tools.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of airvair
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 1:15 PM
To: cash case
Cc: VirtualVairs
Subject: Re: <VV> Anyone in/near Dallas have a differential snout for a
LM?

The snout is only replacable when the diff is completely torn down. It
presses INTO the case. After it's replaced, then the diff has to be
reset with the adjusting sleeves in the front and sides, so that the
gears have a proper wear pattern.

If you want to have a quick fix, you're better off just to replace the
entire diff. Don't ask how I know this. (G)

-Mark