<VV> Jeanne

Arjay Morgan n3lkz@yahoo.com
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:24:07 -0700 (PDT)

For the third time in six weeks the aerodynamics of
our 64 Monza convert will be tested.

I write this at 11:12 p.m. Saturday, Sept 25, with
hurricane Jeanne now slated to track right over our
little town of Zephyrhills tomorrow. We thought we'd
get a pass on this one, but the storm continues to
move west and the longer it delays its turn to the
north the greater likliehood that the strongest
northeast quadrant of the storm will hit us. The
Weather Service is telling us to expect 95 mph gusts
between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. Sunday.

The Corvair lives in a mostly open carport. The east
and west sides are enclosed in slabs of cypress, north
and south are open. The Corvair is oriented N-S. She
is nestled under 1)a heavy blanket and 2) a car cover
which is tied down on all corners and the middle. The
idea here is that major damage in a wind event is
flying debris, of which we have a ton. The theory is
that the car is designed to go through the air at
upwards of 100 mph. That means that it should be
little affected by winds passing over it at 100 mph.
Since the storm winds will be first from the
northeast, then shifting to the southwest she should
be able to weather the storm. The biggest killer of
man and machine in a hurricane is the water (think of
a hurricane as an airborne flood). There is precious
little one can do about a flood, but I'm told Corvairs
can float.

Wish us all luck.

Will report the outcome.

Arjay Morgan