<VV> Re: Exploding tanks

HallGrenn@aol.com HallGrenn@aol.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:56:05 EDT

 For what's it worth, my '65 Monza was totalled when a farm tractor pulled in
front of me when I was doing over 60mph.  The tractor had cast iron weights
on the drive wheels and water filled tires.  I don't think it moved at all.
The front of the car hit at the front of one of the drive wheels.  Luckily, the
steering box wasn't directly hit.  The front of the car folded up like the
beautiful crush zone it is without the tank leaking.  My steel army helmet was in
the well of the trunk with the top pointing toward the suspension member and
it was pushed back into it.  The suspension member pushed the tank back and
the floor buckled under the pedals.  But no gas leak.  The police officer was
impressed that I was able open the door and walk away.  I only had a lap belt so
my face was cut badly by my shattered glasses when my head bent the steering
wheel (only plastic lenses now!).  Everything healed up well.  I would have
had an engine in my lap if I had had a water pumper.  I think our tanks are as
well protected as todays cars.

Bob Hall