<VV> Corvairs in the Curves

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:00:32 -0400

Well folks we autocrossed in Greenville SC this yesterday afternoon. It was
an absolutely
perfect autocross forecast, sunny, slight breeze, low humidity and
temperature in the high 70's.
Bruce Schug and his crew did an outstanding job and we raced  from about
2:45 until 6 pm.
       Ed Kelly's trophies were just as special as promised and everyone
was duly impressed.
The major sponsor, Mr. Kevin Whitaker, ( Chevy dealer in Greenville) was
unable to make it to
our Corvair event but his huge banner was prominently displayed between two
large oak trees.
Maybe he didn't get the word that I had washed my racing shirt and told
Scott to wear a clean shirt !!! <GGG>
       The electronics, timer, PA system and most especially the "times"
recorder,  Kathy "Better Half"
Schug, operated flawlessly all afternoon. We had some fast Corvairs in
attendance and the FTD of the
day was deftly removed from the grasp of the "Home Boys" (Tony Ellison and
Bruce Schug) by David
Clemens who motored in from Roanoke and went home smiling with his 1st
place trophy,
the Corvair camshaft lamp. He beat Tony Ellison  with an excellent 48.3+-
second run. We had 4
Corvairs/powered  vehicles and one H20 pumper (Miata) with sub 50 second times.
       One of the most noticeable differences this year was the number of
Lady drivers. We had 4 ladies
competing and the competition was fierce. Jane Bird was victorious although
stiff competition was provided
by the Pattys.
       Richard Jenkins was his usual calm self as he negotiated the course
with his Greenbrier smoking tires
as it was leaping and leaning through gates and slalom cones. The fastest
EM was Kevin Poe in his Dad's
1962 canary yellow convertible which recorded an excellent mid 50's time
that was far better than many LM's.
       WTBRT #112 once again performed flawlessly with Scott and myself
combining for 15 runs which now
puts the total runs around 165 since we began in early 2003. I edged out
Scott this time with a time of
52.661 vs 52.669. We both turned our best times on our last runs. Of course
Scott ran 9 times to my  6 times
but his quest for victory was for naught as superior driving skill
prevailed !!! <GGG> We had stiff competition
in the sponsored Team field as our Meat competitor, "The Flying Pig" racing
team had motored in driven
by a "Bird". However, we cooked the Porker and plucked the Bird and sent
both back to Lyman, SC.
Better luck next year FowlMan !!! <GGG>
       A great day was had by all and many many door prizes from Clarks
Corvair and Michelin (Donnie Bird)
were shared by all. Thanks to all our hosts from SC for a wonderful day of
fun and comraderie in our Corvairs.

Chuck Armer

Ps. "ChoirBoy" aka Barry Ellison  didn't quite "tweak" his newest motor and
ole #112 smoked him.

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman