<VV> Re: Auto Firsts

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:21:24 -0400

Smitty says:  you guys forgot to check with me before making any
statements.  The Tucker was most definitely water cooled and it was a
heliocopter engine which was modified to work that way.  The Franklin was
a front engine in line 6 which was air cooled.  The Corvair was not the
first air cooled rear engine car in the US.  The honor for that goes to
the car that had a rotary rear engine of the type where the cylinders
spun around the stationary crankshaft.  The name Ruxton comes to mind but
I can't be sure of that.  I can look it up if anyone wants to chalange
that.  If you want to get away from full sized cars the Sears Buckboard
predates the Corvair by a few decades and don't forget the King Midgets
of the late 30s.