<VV> Gas Smell

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 1 01:48:49 EST 2005

Is the odor at the front or rear of the car?

Check the oil.  Is it GROWING?  Dipstick smell like gas?  CAN (not usually)
leak into crankcase from pump without you seeing it on the outside of the
pump.

Otherwise....  spray suspect areas with brake clean (do not use carb clean
it will eat the paint).  Start it up and look for the drips of gas.  Maybe a
flaring is not properly seated (or cracked).  Feel (clean first) the
underside of the pump... damp?

If odor is up front, the filler neck leaks when full or parked with
passenger side high.

Later, JR