<VV> Cold Cranking Amps

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 14:09:07 EST 2005

Andy,
    If your Corvair always starts with only a few seconds of cranking, then
you probably don't need a high CCA rated battery.  However, if like most of us,
your Corvair is sometimes "reluctant" to fire up, then the higher the CCA the
better.  This number indicates the CAPABILITY of the battery to deliver high
starting amps for a longer period of time before it runs down.  No need to
change the existing switch or wiring.
    IMHO, a big battery on a Corvair is like CHARITY in that it "covers a
multitude of sins" which a 40+ year old car can be prone to.  A big battery has
gotten me home with a slipped harmonic balancer (no charging and no fan) which
required shutting off the engine every 1 - 1/2 mile for cooldown and
RESTARTING 4 times for a 7 mile trip.
    A higher CCA battery will also usually have a longer warranty so it
should last longer.  If you keep a Battery Tender Plus plugged into the cigarette
lighter socket, you can easily get 10+ years out of your battery.  The original
stock GM one on my 1995 Trans Sport is still going strong since January 1995
when I first got the car.
    Frank "bigger is better for batteries" Burkhard

In a message dated 4/1/05 6:48:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, ASarkozi at aol.com