<VV> Alternate Jack

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Sun Apr 3 03:08:37 EDT 2005

> From: Eric Marschner <emarschn at gmail.com>

> My jack is jacked.  I need a new one.  I am curious to know if
> anybody out there carries around a more modern jack in their Corvair -
say
> from a Cavalier or some other newer vehicle
-----------------snip------------
Smitty says:  Eric there is no jsck provided in any modern car I am aware
of that even remotely comes close to the GM cantilever jack.  It is the
one with a ratchet bar that lays parallel to the ground and jacks like
the old bumper jack.  They are gosh awful powerful. and light to boot.
The only weakness they have if there is one is that they can deform if
they are holding a car up and it rolls forward or back.  Anybody that
jacks a car without proper blocking deserves what they get anyway.  One
of their major advantages is they start from so low to the ground.  Even
a Corvair with a flat tire is no problem to get under.  It is common in
lots of GM cars.