<VV> CORVAIR SIGHTING - movie

goofyroo at excite.com goofyroo at excite.com
Mon Apr 4 09:32:49 EDT 2005

I was an extra in "JFK," where the director used several dozen '50s and early '60s-vintage cars, rented from local owners, as background for the Dallas assassination scenes.  We ran the motorcade shot 34 times.  There were multiple shots of the other parade scenes, as well.

All this time, the cars were being started, idled for long periods, and stopped while other aspects of the production got attention.  It wasn't long before stagehands were roaming the streets with booster packs to juice up flagging batteries.

Also, the drivers in these scenes were ordinary extras.  As one among them, I can testify that none of them knew anything about cars, especially old ones.  One said she kept her assigned Cadillac's engine from dying by holding the brake and accelerator simultaneously until it was time to move.

Next time a producer flatters you with the offer to use your car in a production, keep that scene in mind.

Michael Smith
Dallas

Channel surfing this afternoon, came across a 1988 movie called "1969". Story about a couple kids who head to college to avoid the draft. Early scenes of Robert downey jr driving the p out of a red early convt - kiefer sutherland riding shotgun. Great exposure, but abuse of the car is 1 good reason why I'd never trust a studio with my car.