<VV> Speaking of tires...

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 20:20:14 EDT 2005

Seth:

How do you balance them?
----- Original Message -----
From: <Sethracer at aol.com>
To: <NicolCS at aol.com>; <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> Speaking of tires...

> I'm considering writing up a little page for the Communique about the
lost
> art of changing tires using tire irons.  Does this sound like  something
that
> would interest you?  I got started on this back in the 70's  when a
10-year old
> Mexican boy at a tire shop in San Felipe changed the 10-31/15  tire on my
> Dune buggy with nothing more than a couple of tire irons.  I  learned how
to do
> it and used the technique for 20 years.  Considering the  cost at a tire
store
> these days, it could be a fit for us. Please let me know  your thoughts
one
> way or the other.  I won't take offense if you aren't  interested.
> Craig Nicol
>
> As a budget racer more than twenty-five years ago, I did something folks
might be able to still do today. I found an old gas station that was going
"self-serve" and closing the service bays. I picked up the All-manual tire
machine for $40 bucks. I called the owner and left him a message that I
wanted to buy it. He called me back about 6 AM on a Saturday. I offered him
$50 and he said "What about $40?" Now, I know I had been half asleep, but I
said "Okay", drove over and unbolted it and hauled it home in the back of my
old Saab 99.  - I hauled it to my "new" hose 23 years ago and I still have
it. It does have a problem with 12" wide wheels, but 8" ans less are fine!
It hase paid for itself about 50 times over! - Seth Emerson
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/