<VV> Tire boots, bald tires, more leg issues and such

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 08:41:35 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/4/2005 4:08:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dkeillor at ultrex.com writes:
<<This was war time and
any rotten old tire with even a little bit of tread was like gold.>>

One of my most cherished photos I have of my grandpa was taken in 1942. He's
sitting on the front bumper of his 1938 Buick Limited, with 1941 Tennessee
tags on the front of the car. He was a small fellow, about 5' 5"... The tires are
smoother than a baby's bottom, not a groove left in them. I can remember my
Dad talking about the way grandpa would drive from town to town (He had a band,
and a friendly rivalry with another group, led by Garner "Pop" Eckler, who
hauled his band, "the Youngun's", around in a 1937 Packard Victoria) and be
going well in excess of the speed limit on the old county and state roads, most of
them still gravel at that time.
What a nut.... he disbanded the group in early 1943, since the war was going
on and most of his band members were slowly enlisting or getting drafted... he
was too old to join, so he started driving a bus in Louisville, ended up
doing that for over 25 years...
Dad always told me I picked up my love for working on cars from grandpa...
seems only fitting, since his name was Lonnie...
As for Corvair content, since the girls are on "spring break" I think we will
take a "picnic lunch" up to Bernheim Forest... a cool place if you like natu
re... the trees are flowering out, and the plants are blooming. Isaac Bernheim
purchased a gazillion acres of land back about the turn of the 20th century
for use as a "nature preserve", to repay his gratitude to his adoptive country
for his good fortune. This German immigrant made millions distilling "I.W.
Harper" whiskey here in Kentucky... it is a beautiful place.
We will be driving the 64 700, since it is supposed to be somewhere in the
70s today.

I also saw the Doctor yesterday, and he said "You're not straight"..... I
said "Wait a minute Doc, I do too like girls!".... he thought that was funny....
it turns out he was telling me my leg bone is not straight, and will require
more surgery... within 2 weeks... and he will attack the fibula this time,
along with removing the nail in the tibia, re-tweaking it, and reinserting it, so
the leg is more straight. All I can do is hope I still have a job once they
release me, which at this time is unknown.
So there ya have it... that's what's going on my world.
Y'all take care, and I'll catch ya later,
"Lonzo"

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, daily driver
1963 Greenbrier 4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg