<VV> VV Sleeping Lakewood

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 5 15:22:14 EDT 2005

I have to agree with Mike on this one............As ULTRA as you are, it makes
sense to clean the the 3 areas Mike has suggested so your "used" Rislone or
ULTRA ATF has half a chance at removing the rest of the
crud................You could
reclaim all that "ULTRA" lead and mix it with some old lawnmower gas to
give the
Lakewood a leaded nostalgic wake-up  trip!!!<GGG>

FrontMan
/////////////////////////////////
1:47 PM 4/5/05 -0500, you wrote:

>Tony Underwood wrote:
>
>><SNIP>
>>I don't wanna have to pull this engine apart to clean it out.
>>Anybody know of anything that works well to flush out this sort of crud
>>besides the usual kerosene soak or running 5 gallons of lacquer thinner
>>through it a dozen times?   Any sort of engine crud buster that works
>>well, maybe an engine flush that actually does something except paper
>>some manufacturer's pockets?
>>
>>This crud looks like it had lead in it...
>>
>>I knew somebody who "knew somebody" who said they once cleaned up an
>>engine crankcase by running the engine with a couple of gallons of
>>kerosene in the crankcase for a minute or two, cut with a couple of
>>quarts of engine oil.    The kero was above the level of the crankshaft
>>throws, which blasted kerosene all around the inside of the crankcase
>>with a vengeance and "cleaned it up pretty  good".
>>
>>I do not wanna try this with an all original Lakewood engine with 58,000
>>miles on it.    But I'd like to clean it up inside without having to tear
>>it apart.   I have too much stuff apart already.
>>
>>I'm tempted to give it a cheap lacquer thinner soak... 5 gallons poured
>>through it a few times etc.   Let it soak  overnight... and hope it
>>doesn't melt every gasket and seal in the engine...?     Or maybe I
>>should stick with Rislone...?
>>
>>So:   Anybody have any preferences for a GOOD engine crankcase flush that
>>actually works?   It's been a while since I saw an engine with crud like this.
>>
>>tony..
>/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>I think I would at least drop the pan and see what you have. I might also
>pull the top cover and valve covers (in that order of priority) if there
>is that much crud in the engine.
>
>Mike Kost
>SMCC

Corvair Atlanta, BOD