<VV> towing a late model w/PG

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Wed Apr 6 01:38:09 EDT 2005

Well, I thought it was time to throw in a dissenting vote.  There are
trade-offs to the direction that you tow.  It's best for the axle,  u-joints, and tr
ansmission to put that end up on the dolly (i.e.  backwards).  There are
reasons to tow forward too; I'll share my experience  of towing 100+ cars on my
dolly.  (Yes, it has a pivoting deck that permits  the dolly and the towed
vehicle to swivel) When you make city-street turns, if  you don't have the steering
axle on the dolly to provide an additional swivel,  things get all twisted and
there are huge forces placed on the front of the  vehicle and on the dolly.
My pivot deck was buckled once when a "friend"  borrowed the dolly and didn't
unlock the steering of the (forward facing) towed  vehicle.  As I make turns,
I can watch the steering wheel on the towed  vehicle spin a turn or two with
each city-street turn maneuver. If the axle on  the dolly doesn't swivel, these
forces go into the suspension, deck and  tie-downs and everything has to bend
and stretch to resolve the forces. (not  pretty).

Towing backward will be just fine (non convertible) if you can manage to  put
the car on the dolly and make fairly straight shots onto the  interstate.  Be
sure to secure the steering.  If you have to  do many city-street turns at
one end or the other, it will be easier  on the equipment to tow forward with
the steering unlocked. BTW, Chevrolet  recommends a maximum towing speed of 50
mph with a powerglide.  There are  many on the list that may have useful,
practical experience exceeding the GM  recommendation.
Craig (likes his tandem axle trailer better) Nicol

<snip>arthur.landis at us.army.mil writes: I imagine this is an  old question
but please indulge me since I'm a newbie. I  have a tow  dolly rented from
U-haul.  It's the type that only lifts  2 wheels.  My question is probably obvious
by now.  Which is  better?  Towing the powerglide equipped '66 sport sedan
from the rear or  from the front?  I'll be on the interstate for most of the 400
mile  trip.  <unsnip>