<VV> Sleeping Lakewood

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Apr 7 16:03:20 EDT 2005

At 08:53 hours 04/07/2005, Chris wrote:
>Start using synthetic oil... Ain't cheap but every engine I've used it on
>had black oil in a very short time. After 4-5 oil changes the oil stayed
>clean. Still better than tearing the engine apart.

I found a local private Amsoil dealer who has good prices, works out of his
basement     and supplies folks around town, as well as at least one
FLAPS.    Got some crankcase flush... scrape the crankcase and valve covers
out, top cover as well, and after that comes the crankcase flush, followed
by some Advance store dino oil and Rislone for a while, then change oil,
more Rislone, etc.  This is what I did with the engine in the '60 many
years ago and it cleaned up rather well.   Oil runs pretty clean and last
time I had a valve cover off (when it ate a valve) the insides looked good.

No reason the Lakewood engine wouldn't clean up OK the same way.   Then
after reseal, synthetic oil.   It shouldn't use much if any oil since it
only has 58K on it, and the engine burns perfectly clean,not a wisp of
smoke out the tailpipe.   Got plenty of rodent nest smoke out the bottom
shrouds though... much of which has already blown out after getting the car
running well.   Also, no more overheating.   Haven't been able to really
tear into it with shroud removal etc just yet, weather has only just
recently cleared up...  this weekend it's gonna get assaulted, nice weather
forecast.    It's time to drag a couple of other things out of storage as
well...  the '60 4-door, and the Yugo (38mpg), and the '65 ragtop so its
repaint can get back on schedule.   But this Lakewood is the current topic
of interest.

I'm *really* hoping that the engine was manufactured late enough to have
the big valve springs and the two-piece exhaust valves, rather than the
small springs/retainers and the early series one-piece exhaust valves that
were kinda soft and liked to burn.    Seems I recall this switchover
happening in the '61 model year somewhere along the line.

Anyone know when the date was for the corporate springs/retainers instead
of the initial production stuff?   If I knew, could maybe check the Fisher
tag for a date...  or I could just yank a valve cover (haven't yet) and
look.    But it would still be of interest to know just when GM started
using the larger springs/retainers.

tony..