Fwd: <VV> VV Sleeping Lakewood

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 15:14:27 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/7/2005 11:57:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
joeaverage at earthlink.net writes:

> Anybody have any preferences for a GOOD engine crankcase flush that
> actually works?   It's been a while since I saw an engine with crud like
> this.

As some of the other guys and you have pointed out, a step process seems to
work well for me with the least chance of damage to the engine.  Whenever I
would take on a "new" old engine that seemed to be crudded up I would remove and
clean the same things you have--the top cover, vent tube (amazing how much
crud can "condense" in a vent tube), valve covers and oil pan.  The heavy gray
crud in the pan and bottom of the valve covers WAS mostly lead from the old
leaded gas.  After that I just ran clean oil with an oil detergent additive (not
one that restores compression, but one that just states that it cleans).  The
detergents in the oil and detergent additive gradually softened the baked on
crud and dissolved it without blocking oil passages etc.  I have never used
solvents because they aren't lubicants and I didn't want to add to the wear of the
bearings etc. after the abuse of too few oil changes.  Over time (weekly then
monthly changes) the crud always softened and gradually disappeared.  The
worst engine I have had was actually a 3.0 litre Buick V6 that, after the above
treatment went another 100,000 miles.  Of course Corvair run forever.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa