<VV> I think I've seen it all....Perimeter Seals

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 16:16:49 EDT 2005

--- BobHelt at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 4/8/05 12:22:02 PM US Mountain
> Standard Time,
> yenko117 at yahoo.com writes:
>
> > The seal, keeps the air from
> > recirculating and ensures that fresh (unheated
> air)
> > stays out.
>
> HUH? What am I missing here?
> Regards,
> Bob Helt

 If you run an engine with a top shroud only, as amny
racers do - part of the air that the fan has pushed
through, will get reintroduced to the cooling system.
It's an expanded example of the "Summer/Winter" plate
below the oil cooler, that does this on purpose for
winter daily drivers.
 If you don't use a perimeter seal and side shrouds,
you also will most likely pull air in that has been
preheated by the exhaust system. It's not as critical
at speed, but can make a difference at idle.

 Does that sound better?

 Mike
 YS-117