<VV> I think I've seen it all - now Perimeter Seal

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 8 19:18:10 EDT 2005

While this sounds perfectly reasonable, and is what I used to think, my
experiments say it's not so.

I took engine compartment temperature readings at 70 mph before and after I
replaced the ragged perimeter seal on my '65 140 convert.  The engine
compartment temps dropped from about 40 degrees above ambient to just a few
degrees above.  Measurements were made using a digital oven thermometer
stolen from my wife.  The probe was shield inside a cardboard tube to
eliminate any radiated effects.

Specifically, in the before test, ambient temperature was 68F and the engine
compartment temperatures varied from 104 at 30mph to 107-109 at 70mph.  I
have misplaced the after numbers, but I think they were about 10 degrees
above ambient, so the seal was worth about 30 degrees.  The old seal was
pretty complete on the front and two sides, but completely missing in the
rear.

Roger Gault