Fwd: <VV> Perimeter Seal/cooling/vapor lock/CO

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 22:31:00 EDT 2005

r.gault at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I took engine compartment temperature readings at 70 mph before and after I
> replaced the ragged perimeter seal on my '65 140 convert.  The engine
> compartment temps dropped from about 40 degrees above ambient to just a few
> degrees above.

My experience too with several cars and one Greenbrier.  One '68 had chronic
vapor lock in hot weather until I replaced the perimeter seal.  The old one
only had a tear about six inches long on the drivers side at the front corner,
but with the new (used) perimeter seal vapor lock went away.  On a life safety
note, after I replaced the perimeter seals, my Greenbrier had only one part
per million more CO inside the cabin than outside air CO with the windows closed
and the heater on full.  The GM engineers knew what they were doing.

I am concerned about the number of Corvairs that--though beautiful and
fun--are running around without all their cooling parts.  If you don't run lower
shrouds, but have openings in your perimeter seals or the other shrouds
(especially the right front where the heater hose is attached--often rusted out) then
your fan is pulling a lot of that hot air--and exhaust--right back in.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa