<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 3, Issue 62

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sun Apr 10 14:12:53 EDT 2005

The steering geometry and wheel offset are normally designed together to
put the intersection of the axis of steering rotation at a particular
point under the tire tread, for example at the point midway between the
edges of the tire tread.  To maintain this geometry with larger width
(but same diameter) tires, the mounting surface distance from the inner
bead should increase by one inch for every two inches of overall tread
width increase.  If the tire diameter (wheel diameter) also changes,
some geometry homework is in order, although the effect may be slight.

IIRC, offset is positive if the wheel mounting surface is away from the
middle of the car relative to the middle of the tire (halfway between
the beads).  I don't have an OEM Corvair 13 x 5.5 wheel in my lap as I
type, so I can't say what that offset is supposed to be.  (I think Finch
commented on this, but I didn't see the remark when I looked for it.)
But unless one has a particular reason for changing the steering
geometry and resultant handling, the OEM offset should be maintained by
selecting wheels of correct offset, or using spacers where appropriate.

kirby