<VV> Input shaft seal/main seal replacement

goofyroo at excite.com goofyroo at excite.com
Mon Apr 11 09:52:39 EDT 2005

Um, *I* wouldn't put it that way, though many would.  Removing the Corvair powertrain is much simpler than pulling a water-pumper engine.  But there are some little quirks that even the Shop Manual (being a "positive" document) doesn't warn you about.  E.g.:

1. Which bell-housing bolts get washers
2. The delicateness of the input shaft
3. Which way the clutch disc goes
4. How important precise clutch adjustment is
5. Getting the right lube for the crank seal

I may be mistaken about whether the Shop Manual is mute on one or two of those.  But my point is, mess one of them up and you either ring up a much larger repair bill or must go back in and do it all over again.

The manual does not include much in the way of "negative" instructions, which help the non-professional avoid taking shortcuts that might appear reasonable but turn out to be disastrous.

So, yes, to support this thread's theme, a few conversations or visits from an experienced Corvair hand will do wonders to help a newbie avoid some ugly mistakes.  I haven't read the beginner's manual but would expect it to serve the same purpose.

Michael Smith
Dallas