<VV> A Working Concept

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Tue Apr 12 02:12:03 EDT 2005

Smitty says:  I waited a reasonable time for the big SU to appear that a
gent told me he had.  Then I got on with my life.  Two weeks ago I
started a project to mount two YH carbs on Spike's turbo.  Quite a job.
I used 2" exhaust tubing to make the manifold.  All MIG welded with
flanges etc.  The trick part is not the carbs though.  It is the linkage
operating the carbs.  The primary carb opens about half way and the
secondary stays closed.  At about the half way point the secondary starts
to open and is arranged with a ratio doubling linkage so it catches up
with the primary and finishes opening at the same time.  What a blast.
Man that thing makes boost like it is free and drives like a stock setup
at street speeds.
        The secondary has all idle and accel ports plugged and the main
venturi is the only thing working.  I know what kind of questions I will
get from the unwashed out there so I will answer a couple of them in
advance.  Why YH carbs?  Why not?  You don't like them. You don't have to
like them.  You don't have to waste your time studying them and making
them work as advertised.  It is alright with me.  My car you know.  I
didn't see anybody offering twin Weber sidedrafts as a gift.  I had 4 150
YHs laying around collecting dust.  Why not use them?
        Now I can get back to fine tuning the waste gate to limit boost
where I want it.  See some of you at RR.