Fwd: <VV> steering wander at highway speeds

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 17:19:21 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/11/05 9:46:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pottsf at msn.com
writes:

> Any suggestions? I swapped out my steering
> box with one that is much tighter, put on a new pitman arm bushing, and
> checked for any slop in my tie rods and idler. All seem to be in good order.
>
> Thanks
>
> Pat Vanderlind

Pat ,  Some of the things I have found on cars "new'" to me:

Tire pressure--Factory (though I run 20psi front 30psi rear)
Worn idler busing (which you've checked)
Worn Pittman arm (which you've done)
Alignment (4 wheel) not done to CORVAIR specs by a shop without the specs
Worn shocks
Slop in the steering
Binding in the steering
Binding in the steering linkage (tie rod ends--either) Pittman arm, idler arm
'65's WERE more sensitive to crosswinds because they lacked a
spoiler--especially when there were people in the back seat.

When things are correct the '65 is a sweet car at speed--I've had them up to
105 (indicated) with no problems.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair