<VV> a ? for you DIY-ers(or guys with paint shops) (long)

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Wed Apr 13 13:42:15 EDT 2005

Painting a car is a fun project and no single step is difficult, but  there
are a jillion steps.  I once saw an SA book that dealt with the  process and a
book like that is the way to go.  The price of the paint  (color) is a
relatively minor part of the painting cost.  Here's a  little rundown:

Primer, reducer, hardener  PPG K36 is about $200 for a sprayable  gallon ($
includes all three components) - you'll need a quart or  two
Sealer, hardener  $25 a quart, you'll need a quart +
Base coat, reducer, hardener, Prices for this part of the package  start at
$50 a sprayable quart and go up from there.  You'll need 2+  quarts
Clear coat, reducer, hardener, $100 to $200 a sprayable gallon depending  on
what you pick.  You will probably use 3 quarts +

Sanding materials and a respirator (must)  $50

Figure $250-$350 and up for painting materials (aka "paint set").   There are
some more economical materials out there, enamels, for example, but  that
only shaves $$ of a portion of the total cost.  Not worth the savings,  IMHO.

Painting isn't too hard but it's the preparation that will kill you.   Glossy
paint doesn't cover any imperfections, it amplifies them.

So...  you have to make the surface perfect if you want a decent  result:
1) Scuff to remove all gloss
2) Repair rust
3) Fill and smooth dents
4) Mask
5) Prime
6) Sand
7) Fill imperfections
8) Sand
9) Prime
10) Guide coat
11) Final sand (hopefully)
12) Seal
13) Apply color 2x
14) Apply clear 2x or 3x
15) Color sand and Buff

Most people imagine about 1/3 of these steps.  90% of the work is in
creating a perfectly smooth surface in preparation for step 12.  The rest  is easy!
Craig (been there many times) Nicol

<snip> I've been giving some consideration to spraying my  own
car, instead of paying someone to paint it.  I've
found some  great colors at the House of Kolors
website, and they're really not that  expensive
UNLESS....(here comes the quetions)

How many quarts does it  take to cover a Corvair?  I'm
talkin like, Primer/sealer, and like 2 or  3 color
coats, and then like 2 clear coats maybe.  <unsnip>