<VV> Paint Thicknesses

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 03:47:06 EDT 2005

> Hi Folks, Let's keep out conversions straight.  Mils (.001"), thousandths
> of
> inch are inch measure.  Microns are metric.  One Mil is 25.4 microns.
> Four
> Mils or about the diameter of a human hair is about 100 microns.

Yes, I was initially confused by this! In England, 'mil(s)' is a
commonly-used motor trade abbreviation for 'millimetres' (or sometimes
milliLitres), and 5-7 mm would be quite thick for a coat of paint...

So, before I penned a sarcastic response to VV, I checked a web dictionary,
and I found that what y'all call 'mils' are what we here in England call
'thou' (i.e. thousandths of an inch)!

Now I understand, and it makes some sense! And 'thou' is a very common
measure here (e.g. when you are setting points or getting an engine
rebored!). It will be very useful information if I ever get any reboring
work done in the USA, and I can see that the mil/millimetre confusion could
have led to some rather disastrous misunderstandings if I had used the terms
wrongly in that kind of situation!

(;-))

Cheers

Alan