<VV> new car for me - towing

vairtec at optonline.net vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Apr 14 08:56:41 EDT 2005

At 09:52 PM 4/13/05, mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:

>You guys have pretty much convinced me - I'm probably going to tow the car
>from NC to VA.  It saddens me to tow a car that runs so well but you gotta
>be practical I guess.  But I want to DRIVE it!!!

It's not my car, but I'm unconvinced.  If this car has poor alignment, it's
going to tow poorly.  And if it has really poor alignment, it will be
virtually untowable at speed.

And if the front end alignment is poor, and you put it on a tow dolly
backwards, it will be untowable and it will sway hideously and... and...

This whole scenario is an accident in the making.

Judging by the photos, everything under that car is clean and neat and easy
to work on, as opposed to old greasy rusty stuff.  I repeat:  Do a quick
alignment in the seller's driveway.  If the car remains somewhat unstable,
drive it to an alignment shop and tell 'em it's the same as a 1967
Corvette.  Then drive it home, with your partner in the Suburban as a
"support vehicle."

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net