<VV> Why we lose spacecraft--not Corvair

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 14:20:42 EDT 2005

=== So, before I penned a sarcastic response to VV, I checked a web
> dictionary, and I found that what y'all call 'mils' are what we here in
> England call 'thou' (i.e. thousandths of an inch)!====

While working the tool corral at the now-defunct Home Base chain, a guy came in wanting a metric tape measure. Right after I told him we didn't carry one, he brought over one with an engineer's scale, screaming long and loud about what a moron I was. I was obviously an idiot, because right there in his hand was a tape broken down to 10ths of an inch.

We must remember why we lost a spacecraft a couple years back. As one WOULD expect, Euro scientists were working in meters. Even if it isn't a common thing to do, some American genius spelled the same specs out in yards. 3+ inches per yard times the distances of space means we missed an entire planet by a lot. Yes, this IS rocket science.

Chuck Kubin