<VV> LM Rocker Replacement

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 15 20:26:16 EDT 2005

Well, after only 25 years since I rescued my '65 vert from the rust demons, they've returned from their hiding place inside my rockers.  The passenger side of the car is beginning to sag a little.  The problem is at the front of the rocker.

So, I have started looking around Austin, TX for somebody to replace the rocker.  I'm reluctant to try it myself because I have marginal welding skills and don't trust that I have a good way to keep the car straight after I cut the rocker out.

So far my I've talked to 3 shops I'd trust to do the job.  The answers were:
"No"
"No, we're afraid to work on it.  It's unibody."
"$2000-$3000 and I'll have to have the car for a month or so."

I'll keep looking, but this is not all that encouraging.  Does anybody from this area have a shop recommendation?

Maybe I should try to do it myself?  Have any of you guys done it?  I'm a pretty brave guy (or just dumb).

I could find another body, but I've been driving this car for 25 years since I salvaged it from a $200 junker.  There's a certain amount of pride in that, especially since I did all the paint and body work on it.  I hate to give up on a family member like that.  ;-)

Thanks,
  Roger