<VV> Re: bad running spyder

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sat Apr 16 00:55:23 EDT 2005

At 05:32 hours 04/15/2005, djtcz at comcast.net wrote:

> > Now: First thing, I grabbed up a can of carb cleaner and blew it through
> > the idle mixture screw hole, smooth idle returned. We messed with it a
> > minute or two, seemed like it was OK. .
> >
>As a precaution I'd check for a fat blue spark and maybe even new plugs.
>I'd check fuel pressure and volume, and catch a sample of the fuel
>delivered in a clear glass container with smooth thin walls for good
>visibility, like a beaker.  I'd add a little isopropyl dry gas to the
>sample and swirl it around.  If it suddenly goes notieably clearer there
>is water in the fuel.  There are a few ways to deal with that.
>
>Even if the fuel stays clear I'd add Valvoline Synthetic fuel cleaner at
>max concentration to 5 or more gallons of fresh new fuel in a clean gas
>can.  I might use an auxilliary pump to get most of the gas out of the
>tank, then add the 5 gallons of fresh gas.  I'd probably crank the engine
>a bit with the fuel line disconnected to clear the line of old gas.

Already ahead of you.    This car has a pressure regulator and new plugs,
wires, the works, as well as heated up ignition.    This car is a show
winner, damned near perfect.   It never wants for anything.    I wiped down
the engine after messing with it so I wouldn't leave any finger print
smudges on anything.  ;)

I'm not kidding.

Fuel was the first thing we checked, cracked the line at the carb, drained
some into a cup to check it...  pure high test.    Had to wipe up a few
drips that got on his shroud.

It's also worth noting that the car ran fine the first time the passage got
blown out with carb cleaner...   for a while, anyway, until whatever was
stopping up the low speed metering circuit got into it again and the engine
just shut off *right now*.    Pumping the pedal to prime it gets it started
up again, no problem,  but it will *not* idle, simply coasts to a stop
unless you either keep tapping the gas pedal to maintain a steady stream of
accelerator pump shots, or the throttle is opened enough to get the engine
onto the secondary metering.    Driving the car at speed, it runs fine;
take your foot off the gas and it dies right now.

No secondary/lowspeed metering at all.

I think a little speck of powder coat residue has found its way into the
low speed metering orifice.   I'll know tomorrow when I go over there and
we fix it.   I'm not real crazy about taking something on this car apart,
too easy to scratch something.   I'm surprised he takes it out on the roads
now and then.    It *is* a really nice car and it has its share of
trophies.

It's fun to see Atwood and Dale Dickerson get together and compliment one
another on each other's Spyders...

tony..