<VV> "BOUNCED NOTICES" and Carter YH issues

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Fri Apr 15 23:20:33 EDT 2005

Hi Tony.

	With the idle screw bottomed out, the engine must be getting
adequate fuel to idle elsewhere.  The carb can still draw from the part
throttle port or, more likely, the float isn't (floating) or the fuel
pump is overpowering the needle/seat.  Simple carb, they tell me...

Jim Duane
180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Tony Underwood
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 3:28 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> "BOUNCED NOTICES" and Carter YH issues

At 10:43 hours 04/14/2005, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/14/05 10:30:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>hmlinc at sbcglobal.net writes:
>

> > So, NOW how many VV members are there?

>There WAS  1159   now  878

Maybe there should be an occasional reminder of how many  VV subscribers

there actually are.     That way, whenever I post a boatload of idiocy
on
the list, I'll be reminded of how many people are watching me make an
ass of myself...

Now that I have that out of the way:

A friend of mine is having hassles with his Carter YH carb ('63
Spyder).   The carb was recently (last fall) powder coated, was
carefully
masked off by someone in the business who knew what he was doing, so I
don't think anything got into the carb.  Atwood (owner) and I checked
everything out closely when the carb went back together, found nothing
out
of the ordinary, everything looked very good, inside of the carb was
like
new, rebuild kit  went in with no problems, installed back on the car
and
it started right up and ran fine without even being touched.

It had been running well, then it began misfarctioning slightly in that
touchup of the idle mixture screw did nothing.   In fact, I could
tighten
it to the stop, no change, idle never budged.   Likewise unscrewing the
thing until it was almost falling out.  No change in the idle.
However,
the engine continued to run well, smooth idle (for a '63 Spyder) so as
Reagan said, if it works don't fix it.    Puzzling, but Atwood said not
bother with it unless it showed a problem in running, which it obviously

did not what with Atwood always grinning about the car and mentioning
something about "runs like a scalded-ass dog".    After a week more of
good
running, the car was placed in winter storage.    Then a couple weeks
ago,
the car went back on the roads again, springtime etc.    No problems,
running good.    For two weeks...

Now Atwood has some troubles.   After enjoying smooth running with no
problems, suddenly when attempting to leave the tech session last Sat
the
engine quit and didn't wanna restart.   Pump the gas vigorously and then
it
started but quit immediately if you took your foot off the gas.
Attempts
to make it idle by slowly backing off the throttle would result in a
gasp/gag and a sudden coast-down until stop, unless you got back on the
throttle immediately, usually accompanied by a backfire.

No idle circuit operation at all.

Now:   First thing, I grabbed up a can of carb cleaner and blew it
through
the idle mixture screw hole, smooth idle returned.   We messed with it a

minute or two, seemed like it was OK.   Still no effect at all when the
idle mixture screw was turned....  Atwood left for home, car ran well
until
he got within a block of his house and it did it again, had to limp it
the driveway whereupon it quit immediately just like before.   I kinda
figured that sooner or later the carb was gonna have to come apart
again.   I suppose it's gonna  be sooner.

Anybody seen a problem like this in a YH?    Most troubles I've seen
always
ended up being too rich or pump diaphragm problems or float issues or
warped bowl/top cover etc etc, first time I've seen the idle circuit
simply
quit on a YH.   We popped the top off the carb (which remained on the
engine) and inside it was clean as a whistle, blew through the idle
mixture
passages and air bleeds etc, watched the main jet bubble and spurt etc,
all
seemed normal.    Still no idle circuit operation at all.   It's time to

dismantle the carb *again*, probably tomorrow.

Somewhere, I have a diagram of the fuel metering circuitry of a Carter
Y...  if I can find it.    Anybody know of anything of that sort on the
Web
I could check out in the meantime while enjoying my home made Jambalaya
for
lunch...?

tony..

are the property