<VV> stumps. logs, concrete blocks and jackstands

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 16:02:51 EDT 2005

Yeah, we have to be careful.
Some vigorous shaking and  sincere pushing in the X and Z directions help reveal basic weakness
and stability deficiencies.

Logs on end are easy to split if a wedge or rocker seam presses hard into the end grain.
That's the way log splitters work.
items 127 and 128 here
http://www.inquiry.net/images/sss119.gif

http://www.omegastores.com/log_sp3.jpg

http://image04.webshots.com/4/8/64/56/53686456YfwbSZ_ph.jpg

http://www.mysterypartners.com/pix/split.jpg

The solution is to place a 2X8 or 2X10 as a pad between the car and log, with its grain perpendicular to the sharp edge.  Better yet is a pad of 3/4 inch or thicker plywood, because the grain of the plies alternates, making it mighty split proof.

A log or stump lieing down is a wheel.

Dreaded concrete blocks have a wonderfully large 8X16 inch foot print which, when placed on a plywood pad on graded soil, is mighty secure.
Also with a cap.  Real nice under a tire to raise the car 9.5 inches.
B sure and orient the block NOT like this.
http://www.merkavaconstruction.com/merkava/images/scans2002a/Cinder_Block_Foundation.jpg

I scrape the grade fairly level and flat and use at least 3/4 inch thick plywood under jackstands or my floorjack when I use them in the yard.