<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 3, Issue 114

John & Barb Ely johnbarbely at escapees.com
Sun Apr 17 20:01:51 EDT 2005

"But Why?"  Here's why:
A man can handle the transmission!  He probably can't handle the engine
with transaxle attached!  Now, if you've got a fancy shop with a
transmission jack and a Corvair engine adapter, that's great.  For those of
us who have counted ourselves lucky over the years to have a slab of cement
to work on, dropping the engine is not a piece of cake.  I've pulled my
transmission more times than I care to remember and it was always easier to
drop the forward end of the power train and slide the transmission out than
to drop the entire engine/transaxle combination.

That said, Papa Don should be believed.  Bending the input shaft is a
serious issue.  However, it only requires care to avoid doing this.  And
taking the car up level, using good jack stands at all four corners.  You
can also make jigs or other adapters that can be attached to a creeper or
small floor jack that can assist in handling.

I've forgotten now how heavy the transmission is but I don't think it's
much over 60 pounds.  If you can't press 60 lbs and then hold it with one
hand while getting a bolt started, don't do this.  There comes a time when
paying the mechanic is the best option.  I've reached that time and I don't
do this anymore, but for the whippersnapper crowd, this technique is
certainly a reasonable option.

John Ely, 64 Monza Convertible.  I bought it new.