<VV> Leaded Gas Additive

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 20:45:07 EDT 2005

More to the point, the lead substitutes are designed to lube the exhaust
valve seats, unnecessary in a Corvair engine. And these additives do nothing for
octane.

In a message dated 4/17/2005 8:40:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kirbyasmith at gwi.net writes:
chrltamburello at aol.com wrote:
> Hi... Just  bought a 180 Turbo 1966 Corsa and was wondering if a lead
additive should be added to the 93 octane I will probably put into the car. I live
in NY if that has any bearing on the subject.
> Thanks for any advice

I would suggest not doing so.  Lead will grunge your oil, valves, and
most everything else while you are getting that octane improvement.  If
you live where race gas (now unleaded, I believe) is sold, you can use
that.   Or, why not use toluene as an additive?  I vaguely recall it is
120 or so octane.  Somewhere on the web is a formula for net octane vs.
ratio of toluene to 93 octane fuel.

In the '60s I could get my 180 to detonate on 100 octane leaded Sunoco
260 when the engine was hot enough, so leaded may not be the cure,
anyway.  Water injection is probably more useful.

kirby